If there’s one thing all divas/ glamazons/ beauty gurus know to be most important, it’s lighting. There’s no highlighter that can outshine the effects of really good lighting! So, when designing a glam makeup room for one #creativeweirdo, I knew I had to give her an epic vanity mirror that shines like the heavens. Check out the supplies and steps below!
3 vanity light strips (we used 2 36″ and 1 48″)
3 prong replacement plug
Optional: remote plug adapter for easy on/off
Tools: Table saw, measuring tape, sandpaper, screws, paint
- Lay your 3 vanity light strips and frameless mirror down on a big piece of 1/2″ plywood and cut around to create your backing for the entire vanity mirror unit. We used a glass cutter to cut our 48″ x 36″ mirror down 4.5″ on the 36″ side so it would fit perfectly within the 3 light strips. You can do this with a glass cutter from the hardware store or go to your local frame store where they have an industrial glass cutter.
- Cut a 48″ x 4″ piece of plywood and two pieces of 4″ x 35.5″ pieces of plywood then attach these with screws to the backing piece of wood that you cut, creating a 3 sided box (see diagram above)
- Paint the side pieces and the wood backing if needed.
- Drill holes large enough to pass the wiring of each lighting strip through to the back area of the box.
- Mount your light strips and mirror with the mounting hardware and mirror clips provided in the package.
- Wire the 3 lights together with the 3rd light also wired to a 3-prong replacement plug. *This requires some knowledge of electrical wiring so we recommend getting the help of a professional electrician to make sure your wiring is safe. We also used a remote plug attachment so that the whole mirror can be turned on with a tiny remote! All of this wiring will be concealed within the box you’ve created.
Article by Mr. Kate